Dear students, if we want to learn any language effectively, we must learn the grammar of it. First of all, we have to learn what grammar is and then we learn the topics of grammar that come under it. Every language has its own grammar and with the help of grammar, we can make meaningful sentences and their uses in our communication. The English language has its own grammar so; let’s learn the grammar of the English language. In the beginning, we go through the basic concept of grammar, alphabets, vowels, consonants, and word formation, they are as follows:
What is grammar?
- Grammar is a set of rules or rules of language.
- Grammar is the system and structure of a language.
- The system of rules used to create sentences refers to the knowledge of parts of speech, phrases, clauses, and syntactic structures used to create grammatically correct sentences in English.
- The rules of grammar help us decide the order we put words in and which form of a word to use.
- Grammar is a science of language. It means it has some rules and its own structure to build meaningful full sentences for effective communication.
- Thus, with the help of rules we learn the language effectively.
Every language has its own alphabet. The English language also has its own Alphabet. Alphabets are in the number 26 and they are called letters so; we can say there are 26 letters in The English language or there are 26 letters in Alphabet.
- In alphabets, 26 are letters. A to Z
- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z = 26
- Vowels = a,e,i,o,u = 5
- Consonants = b,c,d,f,g,h,j,k,l,m,n,p,q,r,s,t,v,w,x,y,z = 21
- What are vowels?
- What are Consonants?
What is a vowel?
- Vowel is a speech sound made with your mouth open and your tongue in the middle of your mouth not touching your teeth, lips, etc.
- The definition of a vowel sound made with the vocal tract open, especially the letters – A, E, I, O, U.
What is a consonant?
- A consonant is a speech sound that is not a vowel. It also refers to letters of the alphabet that represent those sounds: B C D F G H J K L M N P Q R S T V W X Y Z.
- A consonant is defined as a letter in a speech where the sound is formed by an interruption of the breath by some part of the mouth.
What is a word?
- A Group of letters is called a word.
- The combination of vowels and consonants is called a word.
E.g.: Come, Go, England, Computer, Star, Planet, Oil, Face, etc.
Every word has its own meaning on the basis of its uses; they are divided into 8 parts. They are also called Parts of Speech.
They are as follows:
Parts of Speech:
If we learn these basic things at the beginning of learning the English language it will definitely help us for the further learning of grammar topics because it is the base of the English language; on these basic things, you will get much help in learning other topics of grammar.
You may also about learn: The 12 Basic English Tenses