Cherry Tree Appreciation and Explanation 11th class Maharashtra State Board 2022
Dear students,Cherry tree is the poem in your Maharashtra State Board syllabus for the 11th class in the second section 2.1. In your examination, you will be asked to write an appreciation of the poem Cherry tree and some stanzas will come to solve the activities. This appreciation and explanation help you to solve the activities in the poem Cherry tree.
Introduction: Cherry Tree Appreciation & Explanation
- Ruskin Bond: Born in Kasauli, Himachal Pradesh, in1934, Ruskin Bond has composed many short stories, essays, novellas, and over thirty books for kids. His most memorable novel, ‘The Room on the Roof’, composed when he was seventeen got the John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in1957. He has likewise distributed two volumes of self-portrayal, ‘Scenes from a Writer’s Life’ and ‘The Lamp is Lit,’ an assortment of expositions and episodes from his diary. In 1992 he got the Sahitya Akademi Award for English writing in India. He was granted the Padmashri in 1999. Ruskin Bond lives with his embraced family in Mussoorie, Uttarakhand.
- The sonnet, “Cherry Tree” is about the writer’s happiness over a tree that he established which required eight years to develop. He is communicating his marvel at the methods of Nature and how the cherry blooms rush to fall. The tree gives him monstrous bliss as he can see the stars and the blue sky through dappled green trees.
Explanation: Cherry Tree Appreciation & Explanation
- The poet is telling about his experience of how he planted a cherry tree and its struggle. In the beginning, the poet tells that it was eight years have passed when he thought that he must have his own tree, and take care of it and in such thought, he just sow a cherry seed in his garden and just watered it once, and went bed after that he literary forgot that he sows a cherry tree and he has to take care of it.
- Further, the poet says that cherries have their way to grow up means nature has its way to grow though no one knows or takes care of it. Suddenly, the poet saw over the summer season and at the end of May month that the cherry grew up. It was very little as a five-month-old child’s age.
- The poet tells the condition and threats of the cherry sapling. It was hidden in the tall wild grass. The leaves of the cherry are eaten by goats. It is a great threat to Cherry sapling that at any moment the grass cutter scythe split it apart and monsoon causing damage to Cherry sapling. The stem of the Cherry sapling dried.
- Even so, next spring the poet watched three new shoots grow on it. The cherry sapling starts to survive in the worst conditions. The young cherry tree struggles and pushes itself to grow upward, its branches (arms) are growing fast to take light, air, and sun rays.
- Further, the poet says that he could only watch nature’s ways of growing as anyone who just watched the growth of trees. The poet is wandering in the thoughts that how time grows the Cherry tree and makes a miracle of growth from the Cherry tree.
- In the next year, the poet went away to spend a season in Kashmir. When he returned from Kashmir, he was very thin and rather became poor but when he saw the Cherry tree became richer because the cherry tree grew six feet tall and laded with greenery. The poet saw and scarcely believed that the cherry has a berry on the one branch which is ripened and looks like a red jewel in the sun’s rays.
- In the next year, the Cherry tree was blooming with flowers and the flowers are very small, pink colour, very tender (fragile) and at any mildest breath or mildest wind (breeze) the flowers will quickly fall.
- In the last stanza, the poet was enjoying the sights of the Cherry tree and the nature of its surrounding. The poet lay comfortably on the grass under the Cherry tree and looked up through the leaves at clear the blue sky, the singing birds (finches) are singing they flying over the Cherry tree from the gap of leaves and branches. While the bees are sucking the nectar happily (ecstasy) from every bloomed flower. After that, the sun sank very fast and stars appeared in the sky. In the night the moon moths, singing crickets and the poet praised the beauty of night stars and the Cherry tree that small cherry tree was grown by the poet.
Appreciation of the poem Cherry tree
About the Poem, poet, and title
- The poem, the Cherry tree is written by the great poet Ruskin Bond. The poem is about the poet’s inner feelings about the cherry tree that he planted in the thought of growing the cherry tree on his own and taking care of himself. The title Cherry tree is very apt and suitable because the poet shows the development and growth of the cherry tree and its struggles. The poet mentioned each stage of growth of the cherry tree that’s why the title is apt to the poem.
Theme/summary/gist of the poem
- The subject matter of the poem is about the poet’s love and attraction toward nature. The poet thought to plant the cherry tree and in such thought the sow the cherry seed. Poet shows the stages of growth of the cherry tree. The poet mentioned the threats of the cherry tree and how the cherry tree struggled to survive and nature has its way to grow itself. At the end of the poem, the poet shows the beautiful scenery of the cherry tree and its surrounding.
Poetic style/language, poetic devices
- The poem, the Cherry tree is a narrative poem. In the poem, the poet tells the story of the growth of the cherry tree and its struggle. The language of the poem is very simple and narrative. In the poem, the poet increased the beauty of the poem by using the figure of speech as Alliteration, Antithesis, Personification, climax, etc. the poem has rhyming words that give rhythmic quality to the poem. The rhyme scheme of the poem is aa, bb, cc, dd, ee,ff, etc.
Special features/novelties/focusing elements
- The poem is a nature poem. It has fine nature imagery used by the poet. The poet shows the stages of growth of the cherry tree as the life stages of a human being. In the poem, the poet shows how nature grows itself without taking by anyone. The poem has fine picturesque quality by showing the nature image and scenery.
Message /value/morals in the poem
- The poet gives the message that we should take of nature; at least we should plant a tree and take care of it. The poet urges that to do tree plantation conservation of nature. if we take care of nature, nature will take care of us.
Your opinion about the poem
- I am really impressed by the poem and the poet’s thoughts. It has a positive and hopeful tone in the poem. The poet’s thoughts encourage me to plant at least one tree and take care of it. From the struggle of the Cherry tree, we should take the lesson that in any situation we should be always positive and hopeful. After every worst or dark situation, there will be a better and bright future ahead. If we face the problems, and obstacles positively victory is sure. Thus, I like the poem and its optimistic tone of life.
You may also learn about the poem: